Sunday, June 29, 2008

French toast, Eggs And homemade Buttermilk Syrup, breakfast of the Champions!

I Love breakfast!! It's the reason I get up in the morning, it's the reason I have a hard time starting diets. It's just delightful to me. There's nothing like getting up after a long nights sleep (yeah right) and eating something yummy to start your day off. My kids love french toast, especially if it's covered in the "white syrup" aka: Buttermilk Syrup. My mother inlaw gave me this recipe and I love it, I also made a switch to almond extract, it just takes it to the next level, you can eat it by the spoonfuls... And it's it's great on everything, I should try it on veggies, maybe my kids would finally eat them! But really, oatmeal, icecream,pancakes, bread pudding, malt o meal, pretty much anything breakfast or dessert like. Now the eggs, Iam not really an egg girl but I saw a show of the "barefoot Contessa" and she did her's differently with baked eggs but using the same herbs and boy, what a difference it made. They tasted so fancy. My son has become a little egg coniseur telling me the last time I made them, "they were good but, there was just a little too much basil!" For heavens sakes, everyone's a critic. This french toast is really good with thick yummy texas toast or french bread too, cooking time will just be longer. I made up the whole bag, and saved leftovers in the fridge and toasted them up in the toaster oven for the kids the next day, and they were as good as new plus, the house smelled so good, like I was making them fresh from the griddle. I have pictured some coconut syrup that was brought back to us from Hawaii from a friend, sooo yummy. I'm working on my own version, because I know this bottle won't last here too much longer!
The Recipe
French Toast with Herbed Scrambled Eggs & Buttermilk Syrup
1 Loaf Favorite Bread ( I used grandma sycomores white)
6 eggs beaten
2 Tbs. Vanilla
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. orange juice
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. cinnamon and sugar mixture
Mix all ingrediants. Heat griddle to 350 cook until browned.
Herbed Eggs
6 eggs beatened
2 Tbs. milk
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat all together (for fluffier eggs, which I didn't do in pic, beat with electic beater until frothy.) Cook on med-low heat. The slower the better.
Buttermilk Syrup
1 cube Butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 tbs. karo syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Almond or vanilla extract ( I prefer Almond!)
Mix first 5 ingrediants in sauce pan. Cook 5 mins, remove from heat add extract. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Coleen said...

I added coconut extract to your syrup and it was so yummy

Melanie Anne said...

Thanks for visiting our site! YOur recipes look yummy too! I am exctied to try a few. I LOVE that syrup from hawaii! I have some in my fridge right now! My sister makes a coconut syrup --she posted the recipe. IT is very similar to your buttermilk one. IT is not the same as the one from hawaii--but hey, we have to make do sometimes, right!?

Kyle said...

I totally don't know you but stumbled upon your blog and thought I would let you know that you can buy that coconut syrup at Mowi Wowi at San Tan Mall in Gilbert (I'm not sure where you live)...anyway, it's like $4 there! And it is the exact same syrup (same bottle, brand, etc)!
Good luck!