Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gooey Caramel Corn

Oh, ooey gooey caramel corn, how we love you!! This is one of my favorite desserts. But it has to be gooey, not crunchy, this is very impotant!!! And the great thing about this recipe, it tastes great even after it's been sitting out all night! A few things though, don't mistake evaporated milk for sweetened condensed milk!! Sometimes this is a common mistake, you want the gooey milk. Also, get buttery microwave popcorn, the butterier (is that a word?) the better in my opinion. And make sure most importantly, don't let in kernals sneak into the batch!! There is nothing worse then biting into caramel corn laden with kernals, it's annoying and you might break a tooth, if this happens, I do know a good dentist... I want to give credit where credit is due, I got this amazing recipe out of our UOP cookbook when we were in dental school. The wives put this together and I love it, I hope you do too!
The Recipe
Gooey Caramel Corn
Mix In pan over low heat:
1 lbs. brown sugar
1 c. light karo syrup
Add 1 cube butter and 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and slowly bring mixture to a softball stage with your candy thermometer. Pour over about 3 bags of microwave popcorn( or 2-3 gallons of popcorn) Stir and mix as you pour over corn. I do this one bag at a time, so my bowl doesn't overflow. If you must have a crunchy caramel corn you can add 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows to ingrediants.

No comments: