Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Aye,Aye, Cap'n Crunch Chicken Tenders & Coconut Shrimp with Apricot dipping sauce

So I looove Cap'n Crunch Cereal, I will eat it any time, anywhere, And with most anything. In fact, the other day I got this great recipe from "picky palate" for "Girlscout thin mint cookie cheesecake bites" and boy were they good, but then I sarted thinking, "I bet this would taste great with Cap'n Crunch, and it did! By the way have you tried the cap'n crunch shake from Carl's Jr? ....mmmmm. Don't try to eat a whole one- holy full tummy!!! I didn't have to eat for 3 days!....But I did anyway. Back to the food, I made this the other night and my son said "this is the best dinner you've ever made!" Not so sure about that, clearly he's forgotten about my past culinary works of art! Just kidding , but it was pretty good. So, if you don't have cap'n crunch you can use Oh's cereal too, I had to use a little and it worked just fine. For the shrimp, I like the "Japanese Panko Bread crumbs" To me they taste better then regular bread crumbs, plus they are finer in texture. You can find them with the Asian food in the grocery store.


The Recipes

Cap'n Crunch Chicken Tenders
8 thawed chicken tenders
2 cups capn' crunch
1/2 tsp. salt/pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3 eggs beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheet with pam. In a food processor pulse cereal until fine. Add seasonings, pulse to mix. Place in bag or shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg wash, then toss to coat in cereal place on baking sheet. Bake for 15 mins until cooked through.
Coconut shrimp
8 large shrimp peeled and deveined- I took the tails off
1/2 bag of panko bread crumbs
1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
salt/pepper
oil for frying
3 eggs beaten
Heat oil -about 1/2 inch or so, on med high heat in shallow frying pan. In food processor, combine bread crumbs and coconut, pulse to mix add seasonings, mix.Place in small bowl or bag. Dip shrimp in egg wash, then toss to coat in bread crumbs. Fry in pan until golden then turn and repeat on other side.
Apricot Dipping Sauce
2 Tbs. Water
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 c. apricot preserves
1/2c. vinegar
1/3c. packed brown sugar
In a small bowl bowl whisk water and cornstarch until dissolved. In a sauce pan over med heat, combine jam, vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Add dissolved cornstarch; stir until thickened, adding more water until desired consistency. Remove from heat and let cool.
* This sauce is really tangy. I would suggest for a sweeter sauce, using orange marmalade and decreasing the vinegar to 1/4 c. and increasing the brown sugar to 1/2 c.

4 comments:

Coleen said...

Like a dream this blog appeared. It is wonderful! You are amazing.

Anonymous said...

yeah right, like i could make something so exotic

DeAnn McWhorter said...

You are cheating on "Oh's"

DeAnn McWhorter said...

Oh yeah and where is the beer in the Coconut Shrimp?? Do you remember that?