Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tuned Up Tuna

Tired of same ol' tuna with mayo and salt and pepper? I took a recipe idea from "Everyday Italian" and modified it to my own liking. Instead of mayo I made a quick hummus. You can usually find hummus in most grocery stores if you are not up to making your own. The basil oil I bought at "Costco" it came in a 3 variety pack, garlic, basil and red pepper. I use these all the time! The tampenade, comes in many varieties, find a flavor you like and experiment, I found mine at "Trader Joes" I know "Super Target" also carries many varieties. Look in the deli section or try where the spaghetti sauces are in your local supermarket. My husband really liked this new take on tuna, it was pretty easy and you can add your own flare to it if you like.
The Recipe
2 cans chunk light tuna in water drained
1 handful black olives sliced
1 tbs. basil flavored olive oil
salt pepper to taste
1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 handful fresh baby spinach
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans) for hummus
1/4 c. red pepper and artichoke tampenade (basically a spread)
1/2 ripe avocado sliced
1 french roll
Drain tuna. Separate with fork. Add oil, oilves and tomatoes. Season, taste. Rinse spinach, pat dry. In food processor pulse chickpeas with tampenade until smooth, you can add a little oil if you want it a bit thinner. Taste, season if you want. Slice avocado. Toast french roll, spread hummus on both sides. Top with tuna, avocado, and spinach. Serve with extra hummus and pita chips.

No comments: